Skip to main content

Jetty Walk: One Team Member's Thoughts On Guyana

"One of the jetty walls leads to the Atlantic ocean. I walked it. It broke me.  When I stood at the end of it and looked out into the only ocean I have ever seen, it didn't even seem possible that it was the same ocean.  We taught the kids in PAL about the planets the whole week, and in that moment it felt like the Atlantic ocean I have visited my whole life must have been on another planet.  In front of me was a blank ocean with no signs of life besides steel ships that marked the opposite bank.  The waves didn't even seem to have any desire to crash on the shore.  Behind me was a community with unbelievable inner and outer beauty.  Smiles that would make stars seem dim.  In perfect harmony with my feelings I was standing over the gap where two huge pieces of the jetty wall had broken apart.  I was part of the wall.  I want to lead them all to something beautiful.  A new life. Free of the mud, crabs, abuse, drugs, alcohol, and generational poverty that they have known. In the midst of that, I realized that only God's plan could change the scenery at the end of their jetty.  My plan would more than likely lead them back to the same settings they have come accustomed to. God's plan could take the end of that jetty and turn it into Myrtle Beach. I have to be willing to listen. I have to be willing to obey."

 
 
Guyana was Brandon's first overseas mission trip and while he cannot "fix" everything gone wrong here, he has certainly not returned home to rest.  He returned home to be a voice for the voiceless.  He is now using that voice to make others aware of our push to sponsor thirty children with school textbooks for the 2012-2013 school year.  He has currently found 10 sponsors at $25.00 each.  If you would like to join him in this $25 endeavor click here to be taken to the donation page.  Type "Guyana textbooks" in the comment box so your funds can be channeled correctly. Thank you for partnering with us!

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that