Skip to main content

Forgotten little spot in the world


Chris from San Antonio, Texas recently visited Guyana, South America. We love hearing these stories of lives impacted by their time with the kids!

"My walk in faith took a new wonderfully unexpected turn in Plastic City. A new soft spot has been added in my heart after meeting many of the children living there and working with Angie and Geny on the sewing ministry. I love to sew and I went there expecting to help with the start up of a sewing program, to help teach women a new life skill. God always has so much more in store for us, if we can let go of our own plans. I did work with a wonderful group of women there and found myself in an age-old story of women coming together to sew, laugh, share and support each other. While sewing was what brought us together, we were women working together to help each other become better people. Our group started out quiet and shy, but before time came to say our good byes, we had sewed buttons, measured, cut and pinned head scarves, learned our way around a treadle sewing machine and made big plans on where sewing could lead us. I can hardly wait to see pictures of my new friends with their completed projects and see their smiles of achievement. Though my journey in Plastic City may have been short, it was certainly big. God changed lots of hearts those few days.

What still lingers in my mind?

I was paired up with a little 10 year old girl, Taneza. Pink is both of our favorite color! We teamed up together in PAL. We painted a happy face together on Miss Angie's lesson board. She easily used a tape measure and we cut and glued with a group of others to end up with a cork board. She is a smart, adorable little girl and we stuck close together, she helping me as much or more as I helped her. She brought fruit she picked to share with me and showed me how to eat it! I think about my new friend and pray for her daily.

How would you encourage another team?

I can hardly take in all that God showed us in this forgotten little spot in the world. I guess I am most impacted by the children there. What these children have to overcome might seem insurmountable to some. The living conditions are indescribable. Yet they continue to come to PAL, an opportunity for them to see into a different world. The work Angie and Geny do there shines light into what might otherwise be described as a dark place. The children have many challenges simply because of where and how they live. After our few days there, because of a foundation laid by Angie, the children trusted and embraced us. What I witnessed and learned there softens my heart. I pray our time there shows them that others know their plight and continue to advocate for them. I am hopeful other teams will follow, God is working in the trenches there.

How would you describe or define the work there?

Angie has done a terrific job establishing herself into this desperate little community. I have no idea of all the issues and work that she had to wade through for us to be able to stand in our shoes there today. The work and accomplishments in Plastic City seem to be growing in scope. Trust has been established and through good works, it appears God is slowly making himself known to the treasure of children there. I was privileged to hear some of Angie's hopes and dreams for her ministry in PC. She is there for the long haul and while her plans may sound overwhelming to us, we all know God has His way of making the big things small. Lots of awe inspiring, team work would help tremendously in bringing light and hope to an often forgotten population. I continue to pray for this ministry and will do whatever I can to see change happen for everyone involved there.




Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that