Skip to main content

Partnership


We climbed in a taxi at 7:30 am this morning to go to church. The message spoken by Pastor Marlon is what stands out to me even now.  He spoke on reaching our communities and taking on the very nature of God. His message dug through Romans 1:1-7 and really touched my heart. His message made me think, “Do others see God’s own nature of holiness through me?” He made a cultural reference to how people here might excuse their behavior by popping off the popular phrase,  “I am a Christian, I ain’t no saint!” and called us all to not just be Christians – but saints.  I have never thought of it this way, but God is calling us to strive for His holiness! We are His Saints and when we choose to take on God’s nature of holiness then we can reach our communities. Our communities, which can be where we work, live or meet up with others, need us, the saints, to share the love of Jesus!
One thing I never saw in Sunday morning service before was the use of a visual object lesson.  However today Pastor Marlon brought out a jar of olives and poured them on a tray.  As he spoke about how olives were symbolic in Biblical times he began crushing each olive with his fingers.  Then a person brought him a bottle of virgin olive oil and another bottle of extra virgin olive oil. He used this illustration to tie together how holiness is a process of transformation that takes place in difficult times or times when we are “crushed.” As Angie, Amber and I sat around talking about this tonight we realized how this message has left a lasting impression on us. 

We also talked through some things that were culturally different as we worshiped with fellow Christians at Vreedenhoop Wesleyan this morning.  Here’s a few….
·         No time restrictions – service flowed for three and a half hours.
·         Children of all ages were in service with their families and contained themselves the entire time.
·         Sunday School was at the end of service with classes divided in different corners of the sanctuary.
·         Everyone is dressed up in what we would say in our culture is a more traditional attire.
·         An altar call was offered at the end and three people came into a relationship with Christ while many others responded to a call of holiness lifestyle. Those responding were then anointed with the olive oil.
·         Visitors were asked to stand and be recognized and welcomed into the fellowship and we were greeted warmly and felt very comfortable – not out of place at all. 
[Written by Sydney]
Farewell Surprise Lunch
There have been so many things that have happened today that has stuck out in my mind. But one that has stuck out the most was what I walked into tonight. Tonight when we got back from the Children’s Home we wound up sitting downstairs in the living room talking. Then it hit me that I was sitting in a room with four full time missionary’s here in Guyana. There is three of us upstairs (Sydney, Angie, and Amber and there are three more missionary’s living downstairs. Those downstairs all live in the interior part of Guyana full-time.

One of those full-time interior missionaries is Doris and she has been in Guyana as a missionary since she was 22 years old. Tomorrow May 28th will be her last day in Guyana because she is retiring and moving back to the States. The more I sat there and thought about what I was witnessing I had this overwhelming feeling that I was truly blessed to be a part of the conversations taking place this night.  I feel so honored to get to know these wonderful women who gave up everything at home to come serve the Lord in a third world county. Doris has served for over 40 years and lived in a remote village learning their culture and language to translate the bible for these people. So because of her hard work and dedication to serving the Lord these people now have the bible in their own language! While we were talking tonight she said “I can leave tomorrow knowing I worked hard, and did all I could, and I’m going home with no regrets.”  That just blows my mind to sit here and think that Doris was only two years older than I am now when she moved her life to Guyana to serve the Lord. There is no better place to be other than the center of Gods will, and I know I’m right in the middle of his will for my life.
[Written by Amber]

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that