Skip to main content

Jaime's story


Ever since I first came to Christ in October, 1988 I have said that I would go on a mission trip one day. Over the years, however, I allowed things to get in the way of making that dream a reality. You know the excuses we all make: "I don't have the time to take off work", "I'm no good with tools", "I'm not healthy enough", "I don't have the money", "I'm afraid to fly". Believe me, I made all of these excuses and then some.

Last April I read in a CP newsletter about a mission team going to Guatemala to work with children there. Here was a trip that was right up my alley; I absolutely love children and am actively involved in the children's ministries at my church. I checked on the cost of the trip and hit a brick wall; there was no way I could raise that kind of money in such a short period of time. Once again I allowed myself to be distracted by my own excuses and missed out on an opportunity to serve, but God kept CP and their mission teams on my heart and mind.

Late last year I again began thinking about the summer mission trip opportunities and happened to run across the "Survivor: Guatemala" contest on WBFJ. I felt God leading me to enter, but not being a particularly lucky person I really didn't think I would win. Little did I know that God had plans to use that contest to bless me anyway! While I was fortunate enough to be chosen as one of the 10 contestants, and even more fortunate to have made it to the next to last day of competition, I did not win the contest. Before I was eliminated however, I committed to God that I would go on the trip regardless of the outcome and that if I did win, I would help someone else to be able to go on the trip as well.

The day after I was eliminated, I received an e-mail from Lisa Holbrook; an anonymous donor had called and contributed 1/3 of the cost of my trip! Then I received a check in the mail from a couple in Ohio who had heard about the contest and wanted to support me. Later that month I received donations from two individuals in my church. My husband and I decided to make some adjustments in our finances to enable us to finance the remainder of the trip; I began babysitting to raise funds, we cancelled our cable television service, and we refinanced our mortgage to free up some money each month.

Then another huge blessing came in the form of yet another anonymous donation of 1/3 of the cost of the trip! With my trip now paid for, I felt God reminding me of my earlier commitment where I had promised to help someone else go if my trip was paid for. I felt Him saying, "Okay, I took care of your concerns and I blessed you when you stepped out in faith, will you step out again and pass those blessings on to someone else?". He laid one particular person on my heart and I have since partnered with her to help raise funds for her trip. God is so good!

Maybe you have felt God calling you to step out and serve in some capacity with CP, but have allowed distraction, self doubt, and worry to keep you from making a commitment. Perhaps you know in your heart that He will provide, but like me, have trouble dragging your head along for the ride. Trust me when I say that He is always faithful and we can trust Him to provide for our needs when we step out in faith, saying "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord". See you on the mission field...Jaime Hayes LaDuke

Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.