Skip to main content

A Perspective on International Adoption

"My life's greatest privilege and joy is being the mother of my beloved adopted daughter, Lexa, from Kazakhstan. The fact that God chose to entrust me with such and amazing and lovely creation makes me feel so loved by Him that my heart could just burst. But, let's face it, parenting a child, whether adopted or biological, isn't easy. Prior to adopting, I was exposed to many of its challenges through my involvement with Caroline's Promise and other orphan-support organizations. As a single adoptive mother, I did not go into the adoption process with rose-colored glasses about the pre and post adoption challenges. I knew that I would need the support of others to successfully raise my adopted child.

Like many adopted children, my Lexa has some degree of speech delay. I really did not realize how verbally behind she was or the social impact of that delay until I enrolled her in day school last fall. I was terribly disappointed by the manner in which the school addressed Lexa's challenge. During that time, I also discovered that Lexa has a keen sense of awareness when she is being treated in an unloving manner and responds with her own special dose of unlovingness as well! Thankfully, God led me to a fabulous speech therapist and a wonderful new day school. I also fell in love with the book, "The Connected Child" as well as all of the insights of Dr. Karen Purvis. With that winning combination, Lexa is thriving and becoming all that God intends her to be!

I can attest from personal experience that, just as God led me to Lexa, He has led me to the resources and people that not only understand the challenges of adopted children but also loves them dearly. If you are an adoptive parent who is struggling to meet the needs of your precious child, I want to encourage you to prayerfully seek out the help you need to raise your child to their God-given potential. Your adoption agency should be able to point you in the right direction. Local resources, such as Caroline's Promise, and adoption support groups (both locally and online) are also available to not only help your child but also to help YOU be the best parent you can be!"

Written by Lana Hedgecock, former board member of Caroline's Promise.

Popular posts from this blog

Medical need for Rodrigo's Family

  Give  Here

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that 

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y