Skip to main content

Petersen's Story Of Hope

It was the end of January when God surprised my husband Justin and I. In the midst of the tragedy in Haiti we were standing in an Orlando airport watching Haitian orphans slowly being released one at a time to families some of whom had waited for four years to bring their children home. It was one of the most emotional scenes I have ever witnessed. It had been almost two years since Will, the 3 year old little boy we were adopting, had become part of our lives and we were anticipating another year or two before we would actually bring him home. But there we were standing in the airport waiting to bring our son home to South Carolina.

It was a few weeks later, while caught in the rush of a crazy morning, that I saw a valentine Will had made in Sunday School the past week. It said "I love my family- Love Will” I knew this was one for the fridge so I found a spot of the door for this paper card, that held so much meaning to me. As I placed the valentine to the fridge I realized it was right beside a Caroline’s Promise book mark I had put on the fridge almost a year ago "Reclaiming Hope for Orphans” the bookmark said in bold letters.

Part of our adoption journey had been receiving a grant from Caroline’s Promise in December. It came at a time when Justin and I were overwhelmed and discouraged with where we were in the adoption process. The grant we received from Caroline’s Promise was a miracle financially, and it was another way of God saying, “I’m with you, this is my plan for your family. Don’t be discouraged.”

We are proof Caroline’s Promise is reclaiming hope for orphans. Hope for a bright eyed little boy who is now our son and Bri’s big brother. I have had people tell me what an amazing thing we have done adopting Will. I don't know how to respond because I haven't for a moment felt that way. Bringing Will into our family wasn’t something we did. It was something God did. God spoke clearly to Justin and I that he was calling us to adopt Will. Will is our son not because we are great people, but because God redeems, saves and loves and is willing to adopt us all.

Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.