Skip to main content

Why go to Guyana? Stephanie's Story


Recently I have been thinking and talking a lot about Guyana and about my next trip this October. I am praying that God speaks to people about “catching the vision” for Guyana. It made me think that I should put down on paper what makes me yearn to return…why should someone go to the unknown? What speaks to my heart about Guyana? What makes it a good fit for people to go on a Guyana mission trip?

My first trip to Guyana South America, to serve in the Plastic City area, was in Oct 2010. Previously I had been to Uganda Africa and several trips to Guatemala. I have ties to Guatemala through the adoption of my daughter, but even before that had been on mission trips there. It was a surprise to myself that I felt the call to go to Guyana on a mission trip. GUYANA? I only knew where it was because of CP’s work there. Otherwise I would have never known! It is not easy to switch to an unknown. But I found out that following God’s call is immensely rewarding and He knew my heart would be captured by the children in Guyana.

A basic, but important reason is that English is the primary language. Communication is made much easier by this with children and adults and just in public places. The kids and I can have one on one conversation without an interpreter. It is a different experience to be able to do this.

CP has an in-country missionary, Angie Hemric. She is actively involved in Plastic City, alongside her Guyanese partners from Vreedenhoop Wesleyan Church. Angie is a native of the Triad area and can lend unique perspective on mission trips. She leads teams through the work being done and culture of Guyana and Plastic city. I found that her view of an American living in Guyana to be immeasurably insightful, especially as we seek to be culturally sensitive and relevant. Because of her presence in Plastic City, teams are able to piggyback on that and work more effectively.

This is not a trip for those interested in a touristy, sightseeing or light mission trip. It is a hands-on trip. I was sweaty, muddy and tired, in really good ways. Teams are in Plastic City working amongst the poverty--economic, emotional, spiritual.

My interest is in education and I am blessed to be able to merge passions in my life—orphans, serving, education, faith. God carved out a place for me to serve, meeting the passions that he placed in me and the gifts He gave me. It makes me tear up to think how He has blessed me to be able to do that!

If you like kids, Guyana teams have a place for you. You don’t have to be passionate about education or be a teacher. These children need someone to show them love. Can you smile at a child as they read a book? Give high fives to encourage? Let a little one sit on your lap during story time? Listen as a child counts to 20? Being on a Guyana team means loving kids— if you love kids that are elementary age, teens or preschool, there are children waiting for you to come and show them that someone cares.

I have a chance to build relationships with the children and their families. There are many children that I saw last year that I will be able to hug again this year. I get to continue to build relationships with them year to year. That to me is so important.

And those kids, they keep me returning. Those faces float around my mind so often. I can not wait to walk down the muddy road into Plastic City to the many hands that beg to hold mine, to the lives that need touching, to the place God has called me.

Stephanie Dimora

Popular posts from this blog

Medical need for Rodrigo's Family

  Give  Here

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that 

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y