Skip to main content

Ministry Dreams Coming True for Young Adults in Guatemala

Caroline's Promise partners with a church in Guatemala City, Igelsia Adonai.  The Pastors there are Carlos & Delmi Rivas.  Delmi is a dreamer.  And she dreams big dreams for the people in her church and community.  I can relate.  I'm a lot like Delmi.  In fact, our husbands sometimes roll their eyes when the two of us get together and dream.  I've known Delmi for eleven years and was thrilled when God made it clear that we were to partner with them in Guatemala City.  Often God will confirm this when Delmi opens her mouth to share a dream that she's had and I've had the same dream.

Delmi's church has a girls' choir.  They are led by a young adult, Omar, who is amazing.  This young man is so gifted in music and with kids.  Each time I visit the church I secretly hope that the girls' choir will sing.  It's been a great opportunity for girls who are talented and just need someone to invest in them.  Many of the girls in our child sponsorship program are in this choir.

Last year while we were talking about the choir Delmi shared that she had another dream.  Surprise!  She dreamed of a dance ministry for girls where they would learn how to worship Jesus through dance, learn their value and beauty, and realize how beautiful they are.  I asked her what stood in the way of starting the ministry and she responded "dance clothes and shoes."  That's it?  That's all you need?  Something so simple.

When I returned home I contacted Robin Thompson, who owns In His Company Dance in Kernersville, NC.  Robin was more than willing to set up a box and collect dance clothing and shoes.  She even took up an offering at their spring dance recital.  And that's all it took to start a dance ministry at Iglesia Adonai!

Anna Rocia on the left leading worship with team member Rebecca
This summer our teams delivered the dance supplies and I asked Delmi who she had in mind to teach the classes.  "Anna Rocia"  she replied.  I know Anna Rocia,  Like Omar she is gifted with children.  When she leads the kids in worship they engage in a way I've never seen.  I think it's because Anna Rocia truly worships when she leads those kids.
One day I asked Anna Rocia, "What other ministries are you interested in?"
"Oh - I would love to teach the girls dance."  She replied.
"Really?  What keeps you from doing that?"  I asked.
"Well, I'm not sure the pastors would want us to do that."
"Anna, I happen to know that it's a dream of Delmi's to have a dance ministry at the church."
Her face lit up as she looked to her friend with excitement.
"That's great but we don't have the supplies to start the dance ministry."
"Now you do" I said.  "There is a huge bag of dance clothes and shoes at Delmi's house waiting for you."

I wish I had taken a picture of her face.  It was priceless.  A young adult realizing that her dreams of ministry were about to come true.

A week later Anna Rocia messaged me on facebook to tell me that they were going to have their first dance class.  They are meeting in her home and by the looks of the pictures she has sent, they may run out of space and have to move to the church soon!

I guess this whole experience has been a reminder that when we partner - truly partner with churches in other countries, it's not really about our ideas and dreams.  It's about theirs.  It's much more fun to help their dreams come true; to invest in them and work behind the scenes to make sure they have what they need, to do what God has called them to do.  You see, I love those girls at Iglesia Adonai.  I believe in them and I pray for them.  But I won't be there on a weekly basis to pour into them.  Anna Rocia will.

Thank you Robin Thompson and In His Company Dance for making this possible!  I can't wait to send you video!

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that