Skip to main content

Final Thoughts From Our Interns

I can't believe how fast these past two months have gone by. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to minister and intern in Guatemala. Grace and I were able to teach English, computer, and drama classes to the children of Casita Adonia. We immediately began to love the people and the culture of Guatemala right from the start. We were also so blessed to have been able to stay with an amazing family who poured into us daily with love and kindness. This family has such a powerful and awesome vision for the people of Guatemala and such a huge heart for God!

We were given so many opportunities to share God's love with all of the people. Not only did we minister to them, but they all completely touched and changed my life forever. Even though some of them may have very little in the way of material things,  they are the most caring, selfless, and happy people. They trust God to handle their difficult situations. Seeing this made me realize that I should never take anything for granted. Also,they showed me to be joyful and give God the glory in every circumstance because He knows the plans for our lives.

 It has been difficult adjusting to being back home after living there for two months. I miss the children of the school, the church and the family I stayed with! I am also very grateful for how much Spanish I was able to learn! Being submerged and absolutely having to speak Spanish made me learn it faster. Now I really want to major in Spanish! This trip has made me realize that my heart is in missions. I truly feel called to do missions in the future! I'm not exactly sure where or when but I am so excited for God's timing and plans to be revealed to me! This trip blessed me greatly and revealed so much to me, not only about Guatemala but also about myself! Thank you for the many ways you supported both myself and Grace during our internship.
~Written by Rebecca



Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.