The first team of the summer arrived in Guatemala on Friday and got to work with our team right away. We woke up Saturday morning and headed to the school to begin painting and to do some demolition on the new school building. We quickly began to build relationships with each other and with the people at Casita Adonai.
We got to go to Iglesia Adonai on Sunday and some of us worked with the kids in Sunday School and others sat in the service to hear Pastor Carlos speak.
These are a few of the guys that have been helping us tremendously with translating and work around the school and we are so thankful! This week has been full of laughs and learning. At the end of the trip we sat down to spend some time with God. During this time we asked what He has been teaching us or showing up throughout the week. Below are the sentences of our team members and what God has taught us:
– In Guatemala God showed me that we are all family through God.
– In Guatemala God showed me that happiness comes from love, love of our neighbors, love from God and for God
– In Guatemala God showed me that there is new hope in Gerona.
- In Guatemala God taught me that love surpasses all and that I should strive to love all people as he does.
- In Guatemala God taught me that when I step out of my comfort zone, He will step in and provide for me wherever I am lacking.
- In Guatemala God taught me if we are willing to be obedient to his calling, he will open our eyes to show us his plans
- In Guatemala God taught me that it is easy to love people who appreciate me and love me back. What am I going to do for people have endless messy problems and those who may not appreciate me?
- In Guatemala God taught me how important wisdom is. It is a gift to be sought and to be shared.
- In Guatemala God taught me to remember that we don’t just come here for the children, but for everyone we meet.
- In Guatemala God taught me that even though we may doubt it, God has a great plan for each of lives.
- In Guatemala God taught me that he can shine through anyone’s eyes, whether it be through us or anyone we were helping. I can always see his work through us.
- In Guatemala God taught me how he can take what we may consider to be small, and turn it into a huge blessing.
- In Guatemala God taught me to be open.
- In Guatemala God taught me that before I could see with my eyes, but now I see with my heart.
- In Guatemala God taught me that life is precious and not guaranteed, but if you live for him it will be beautiful.
- In Guatemala God taught me that even when I’m trying to get as much as I can, what I’m given in return is usually much greater, and more than I deserve.
- In Guatemala God taught me the coolness of his family.
- In Guatemala God taught me how to surrender.
- In Guatemala God taught me that because of my non leadership role, I felt released in Guatemala to delve into of all I observed and was lead by God in thought about the depth and complexity of the issues facing the people of Hurricane Village.
Please be praying for the upcoming week, as the next team as already arrived and is ready for a full day tomorrow.