Skip to main content

Exceedingly Abundantly

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."  Ephesians 3:20-21

Four years ago I led a small team of women to Guatemala the week after Christmas.  Our goal was to love on our friends and encourage them.  We had no idea that God was up to something much bigger.  Delmi introduced us to a family of 6 kids who had recently moved to the community and were attending the church.  I could tell that she was drawn to these kids and I'll never forget the day we visited them.  While on the roof of their home I said to Keila, 
"Wow!  This view is amazing.  Do you guys come up here to play?"  
She replied, "We don't get much time to play."
I learned that their mom, Claudia worked a lot and the older kids took turns taking care of the younger ones.  Before we left that day we prayed with them and took this picture.


A few days later their mom, Claudia came to church for the first time.  I remember thinking that there was something special about this family.  And I thought,

 This is what Caroline's Promise is about - helping families like Claudia's.  

At Delmi's urging I quickly found sponsors for Carlos & Keila to be able to attend Casita Adonai the following month.  The next time I visited I saw them - faces beaming, and I thought, 

This is what Caroline's Promise is about - providing a Christian education in a safe, loving, environment where kids learn that Jesus loves them.

As time passed Claudia took our Threads of Promise sewing class and began volunteering at the school.  Each time I returned to Guatemala I saw her growing closer to Jesus.  I have a vivid memory of her on the back pew of the church, hands raised straight to the sky, worshiping Him.  She was always quick to help at the church and began going with them to the community of Gerona where she would dance with the kids and help in any way she could.  Her transformation was beautiful.  And I thought, 

This is what Caroline's Promise is all about - equipping the church to speak truth to mamas like Claudia who need to know that they are loved by God and others.

The kids changed too.  I'm not sure I've ever been to the church and not seen them there.  The older boys got involved in the youth ministry and the younger kids learned about Jesus at the school and church and all of them began serving.  Life has not been easy for them on any level.  The older boys work a lot to help support the family and yet they still attend school and minister on their days off.  Claudia struggles to provide for all of them and has had physical problems and yet, she gives so much of herself.  The church encourages them and has discipled them and I often think,

This is what Caroline's Promise is all about - equipping the church to lead people
 to Jesus and disciple them.

On Christmas Day I opened facebook and saw the most beautiful thing.  Max, the oldest had posted pictures of their day.  This family and some other friends from the church traveled to the community of Gerona and took food and gifts to a family there that attends our Sunday afternoon church services.  More than food and gifts, they took themselves.  They were present, encouraging this family and giving them Jesus.


 And I immediately thought, 

This is what Caroline's Promise is all about - partnering with the local church in Guatemala - sharing Jesus so that they can then go and share Him with others.



The ministry came full circle in just four years.  Jesus certainly did exceedingly abundantly more than I asked or thought.  I will be looking at families differently in 2016.  I hope that I can live, expecting exceedingly abundantly more than my little mind can imagine.
 Thank you for supporting the ministry of Caroline's Promise!

Your prayers and your gifts of time and money make a difference.  They matter.  For families like Claudia's and for all the families that the ministry of Caroline's Promise will touch.
If you would like to partner with us to help more families in 2016 please consider giving to one of the following projects.  

Business Training for women: $5000 still needed.   Give here
Construction of the third floor of the School:  $65,000 needed
                                  Give here - write school construction in comment box
Child Sponsorship:  $35 per month.  Give here


May God bless you and your family in amazing ways in 2016!
 


 

Popular posts from this blog

Watch Melany's Story and Win Prizes!

Melany is a precious child living in one of the most difficult areas of Guatemala City.  She is a  student at our partner school, Casita Adonai.  This new video shows what life is like for Melany and her friends and why they desperately need a new school building. A friend of the ministry has given us a $5000 gift to help build the school in Guatemala on the condition that we can match it before Christmas Day! Instead of just asking you to help us spread the word, we want to give you an opportunity to receive   amazing gifts!  Gifts include 3 - $100 credits to a Caroline's Promise mission trip to Guatemala 1 - Coffee/tea set from Guatemala 1 - Wooden salad set from Africa 1 - Purse from Guatemala 4 - Hope Grows Long Sleeve T-Shirts Hope Grows Christmas Contest  Here's how it works!  From now through midnight Chris tmas Eve you will receive entries into the contest for each item below.  Simply comment at the bottom of this blog post and tell us w hat y

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that