Skip to main content

New Welding Scholarship Announced

Several years ago God gave me a dream of teaching welding to young adults 
in our partner communities in Guatemala.  

You may ask "Why welding?"

Well, if you know me and my family, it makes sense.
I'm the daughter of a welder.  My Dad, Kenneth Best was the son of a welder and both of his brothers
are welders.  Through the years he and my Mom built a successful business that my brother, Brian now runs.  He taught me what it means to have a strong work ethic and I watched his business grow, even in the toughest economy, making a way for him to pay for my college education and most of graduate school.

Through the years I would see young men in Guatemala search for a job that paid decent money and over and over I saw them struggle.  If only they could learn how to weld.

In January my brother, Brian traveled with me to Guatemala where we met with the Director of the Welding Program at Intecap (technical school).  We were incredibly impressed with their facility, equipment, and program.  With our partners we designed an Introduction to Welding Seminar that will be held June 24 - 29 at Intecap.  22 young adult men and women have registered to attend and will receive hands on training from our team of welders from North Carolina.  At the conclusion of the week they will receive a certificate and the opportunity to apply for a scholarship to the welding program at Intecap.  At the end of their 9 month program they will be a licensed welder and most importantly, have the opportunity to obtain a job that will support themselves and their families.

Kenneth Best Welding Scholarship
Our Board of Directors has graciously agreed to name this new Scholarship Fund in honor of my Dad, Kenneth

 $150 will pay for one student to attend the 9 month welding program at Intecap.  

Just think, $150 will literally change someone's life by providing them with the education and skills to become a welder and like my Dad, support their family.

As Father's Day approaches, I can't think of a better way to honor my Dad than to support this scholarship fund.  What about you?  If you would like to partner with us, donate here.  Any amount is appreciated and with your gift of $50 or more we will send your Dad a special card, acknowledging the gift in his honor.  

Thank you for your continued prayers as we partner with our friends in Guatemala to reclaim hope.

Be sure and check out our facebook page to follow the story in pictures. 


Popular posts from this blog

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that 

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!