Skip to main content

A Grieving Family

Mary shared her sponsorship story weeks ago before we found out about Erik. We are asking for prayers for Erik's family and for Mary during this difficult time. Mary shared these sweet words on her Facebook page today.

Can you see how sweet this boy was? How friendly and loving? What a gift to have had any time at all knowing this precious child, and I almost missed it. I never meant to get involved in child sponsorship when I first went to Guatemala six years ago, but I am so glad I have. I can't tell you how much richer my heart is for the relationships I have made there and how much God has grown me through the experience of being part of a vulnerable child's life.

Learn to do good;
Seek justice;
Rebuke the oppressor;
Defend the fatherless;
Plead for the widow. (Isaiah 1:17)




I really had no intentions of sponsoring a child when I went on my first mission trip to Guatemala six years ago. I had a child I was sponsoring through another organization, so I felt I had that box checked off on my Christian resume. But when I arrived in Guatemala it was really not about getting any sort of project done as I had imagined, although there were things to help with. It was more about being relational. We spent a lot of time with the children who went to school at Casita Adonai. And before we left, we saw a photo album of children who needed sponsors, people to team with their families to help them be able to attend school at Casita, where they would hear the gospel and have better opportunities, including health care screenings and such things. I signed up to sponsor two boys. One of the boys has been with me the whole time. I have gotten to watch him grow for six years now. He is an artist, and he is now taller than I am. He is friendly and loving, and being a part of his life, praying for him and his family, has been an honor and a joy. The other boy I sponsored left the school after a year or so of me sponsoring him. I then sponsored another boy.




One year on a week-long summer mission trip, I will never forget the feeling of helplessness and anger I felt when we had driven to a woman’s home to meet her and pray with her. Her daughter had passed away recently, leaving this woman with a home full of children. She lived in poverty, and her need was overwhelming. I asked God through tears, How are You going to help her? I waited for an answer but didn’t get one. I boarded the plane to return to my home in America. Where are You, God? I went back to my life, buying overpriced coffees and complaining about traffic. I got a phone call from Lisa, letting me know my sponsor child was not going to attend anymore, but there was a child in Gerona who needed a sponsor. Did I want to reduce my giving, or did I want to partner with this child’s family? I told her that I would sponsor him. The next summer I wasn’t able to go to Guatemala. It was hard to see everyone enjoying being with the children and missing out. The following year I was able to go. 




When we went to Gerona, someone asked if I wanted to meet the child I sponsored. They introduced us, and it was friendly and polite. Then someone explained to the boy that I was his sponsor. Ella es tu patrocinadora. This boy was transformed. He hugged me and hugged me and wouldn’t let me go. He overwhelmed me with his gratitude and love. I couldn’t understand why he was so loving, so passionate. Then someone must have seen and understood. They explained to me: This is the boy whose mother died two years ago. And God spoke to me. He said, I will take care of this family, Mary. And I am going to let you help Me. I was undone. I had no idea what God was up to when He put it on my heart to travel to Guatemala six years ago. But He knew in advance what He was going to do, and He began preparing me to be on His team. When I returned this past summer, that sweet boy burst into tears when he saw me. He didn’t care whether I had brought him any toys or books from America. He didn’t care that I am single or old, or whether I’m fashionable or funny or not. All the things I work so hard at where I come from, trying to be some ideal I think I should be. He just loves me. Just for being in his life. Just for caring. For sharing what God has so richly and abundantly blessed me with with him and his family. I make things so hard, but it is really so easy. All I did was take the step God put in front of me, whether I understood it or not. And He has done the rest.


To find out more about sponsorship and to see children who need sponsored, click here

Popular posts from this blog

Mission team member's "idea" + Facebook Fundraiser = Jobs in San Nicolas

  Our last team to Guatemala was in November of 2019.  That seems impossible but it's true.   The primary focus of the team was a pediatric medical clinic that was hugely successful.  However, that wasn't the only seed that was planted that week in the community of San Nicolas.   Wanda King has been going to Guatemala with Caroline's Promise for years.  We can always count on her to bring hand sanitizer, goodie bags that she and her sister make for everyone, and lots of love!  One of the things I love most about Wanda is that she is willing to step in and do anything that is asked of her.  A few weeks before this trip she asked if she could bring a set of hair cutting supplies.  I didn't know if there was a need, but I knew that Wanda felt strongly that she should bring them and so I said "of course!"  Little did we know the impact that one idea would make.   Wanda spent most of that week teaching our partner, Monica how to cut hair.  We quickly realized that 

Where are they now? Sthefany

Hello, my name is Sthefany.   I am 16 years old and am currently in the 4th year of high school in Biological Sciences.  First of all I want to thank the Groves Family who sponsored me during my primary school period because thanks to them I was able to complete primary school.  I am also very grateful because although I did not meet my sponsors, I appreciated them very much for the support and help they contributed in my life.   It was a great blessing that Caroline's Promise can contribute great things in the life of a person.  The experience I had was totally great. I got to know places thanks to them and they also showed me their love through letters (letters that I still have), gifts and financial aid. I would really like to meet and know how my sponsors are and meet them in person and thank them personally.   And well, I think that these kinds of experiences make you grow as a person in all aspects and how wonderful that those kinds of people exist, such as Carolina's Pro

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!