Skip to main content

First Day of Kindergarten - Tips on Adoption and School

Well, today was the last time I'll experience the "first day of kindergarten." Of course David says he doesn't think we're "finished adding to our family." But that's another story for another day!
We've always approached Caroline's adoption in a very open way. I honestly think her first words were "alo" (hybrid of hello and hola), Mommy, Daddy, and I'm adopted. We're always open to talking about her birthmom, her first months in Guatemala and how she feels about being adopted. Sometimes she brings it up - sometimes we do.

Leading up to the first day of kindergarten I thought it might be good to discuss some things she might be faced with now that she's a "big girl." We were at a local water park and she and I were floating in the lazy river. This is how the conversation went:

Mommy: "What are you going to say when someone asks 'Is that your Mom?'"

Caroline: "I'm going to say 'yes'."

Mommy: "What if they say, 'But you have brown skin and your Mom's skin is white?"

Caroline: "I'll say, 'That's how God made us.'"

Mommy: "What are you going to say if someone asks if you're adopted?"

Caroline: "Of course I'm going to say 'yes.'"

Mommy: "What does it mean to be adopted?"

Caroline: "It means that you have a family that loves you very, very much!"

Pretty simple, huh? I realize that it might not always be that simple. I guess my goal is to keep the lines of communication open and give her opportunities to share how she feels about being adopted. I'm glad it's "simple" right now. These first 5 years of her life I've been able to "protect" her somewhat from comments. I've usually been there to change the subject when someone asks a nosey question like "Your husband must be Hispanic" or "Is she mixed?" But starting today I won't be there and she'll have to deal with the questions and comments on her own.

In light of this, I thought I'd give some links to articles that might be helpful. Although it's not a specifically Christian publication - Adoptive Families Magazine has some great tips for adoptive families. http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/school/index.php


If you have tips on how to handle questions - or ways that you've dealt with adoption and school, please share them. Others can learn from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.