Skip to main content

How I Got to Pour Into My Sponsor Child


Our next sponsorship story is from Grace Wheeler!

During my second trip to Guatemala, I knew I wanted to find a child to sponsor through Caroline's Promise. Over the two weeks I was there, I prayed that God would reveal which child hw anted me to sponsor. One morning, I was praying for my sponsor child and asking God to make it clear which child he wanted me to sponsor. The same day we were giving out parasite medicine to all the kids at the school, which they absolutely hated. 



I had been particularly drawn to one boy in the Prepa class, and we had bonded over the week. When we were giving out the medicine, I was with a friend in the Prepa class. All the kids were complaining about the parasite medicine and some were even spitting it out when we gave it to them. I gave the medicine to child I had been bonding with over the week and he reluctantly swallowed the pills. He came bask about five minutes later with a disgusted look on his face, took my hands, and threw the medicine up STRAIGHT INTO MY HANDS. At that moment I jokingly thought, this is going to be my sponsor child. 



As we went back to Delmi and Carlos's house that night, I was searching through the sponsorship book and the kids that needed sponsors. As soon I turned to the page with his picture, his photo had the words, "high need" written next to it. I knew that God had pointed him out at the school that day for a reason. I immediately thanked God for picking him out for me and making it so clear that day that he would be my sponsor child. 



I have now been sponsoring him for over four years. Over the years, I have been able to see him grow in school, make friends with his classmates, and receive a wonderful education with God at the center of it all. I've been able to invest in him and now his family because his brother now goes to Casita as well. This past summer we spoke with the kids about the lies that we believe about ourselves. He shared with me how he believed he was not smart and friends told him he was dumb, so he believed it. I was able to share with him some of the lies I struggle with, but also the truth that Jesus proclaims over me. I prayed with him that he would listen to the truth that Jesus speaks over him and that he would be able to discern the differences in what Satan was saying, and what Jesus was saying. Being able to hear his struggles and proclaiming truth over them was one of my favorite memories from this past year. Sponsoring him mans so much more than giving money so he can attend Casita. It means a relationship with a child that I can pour into, speak life over, and pray for continuously. 



Child sponsorship has never been a burden or something I have regretted giving to. No matter when it is time to give, I feel blessed knowing where that money is going and how it is impacting the lives of our friends in Guatemala. 


To learn more about sponsorship and to see children who need sponsored, click here
-->

Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.