Skip to main content

“Who told you that?”

This is my second mission trip to Guatemala. Last year was an eye-opening and humbling experience for me. Last year I was very nervous about coming and had an overall negative attitude. This year I felt I was being called to come and went in with a more positive attitude. I chose this week to come, because this year I was coming without my mom and brother and I knew both of the leaders, Ruth and Jacey. It turned out the week I chose to come, we were going to be doing a girls retreat. 

We arrived Friday around lunchtime and headed from the airport to Delmi’s so we could get settled in and get lunch and rest before we headed to Shama, a camp in Gerona. We prepared for the girls arrival, some of us helped with decorations and some of us decided to get to sleep early. 


Waking up Saturday morning, I was anxious for the girls to get there. I was nervous that I wouldn’t be able to make an impact on the girls or that the language barrier would keep me from helping out. 


Then, one of our team leaders, Jacey, gave an amazing talk to the girls about lies we tell ourselves instead of listening to what God says. One of the things she said that truly resonated with me was “Who told you that?”. I believe there are so many times when we are told something by someone or hear someone say something about us and it sticks. More times than not, for me, I let the negative outweigh the positive. I didn’t even realize I needed to hear this message until I heard it. As I looked around the room and saw the 20 girls, I realized that I had no reason to worry whether or not I was making an impact because I needed to trust God’s plan. I had much more in common with these girls than I thought and not only was I there to help them, but they were helping me too. 


This is one of the many bracelets made during Ruth’s bracelet making activity. The girls made 2, one for themselves and one to give to be sold through Florecer. 

At the end of the retreat, so many of the girls came up to our team and hugged us and thanked us, even if I or a team member hadn’t gotten a chance to talk with them. I realized I had been telling myself lies before the retreat and God always shows you what you need, it may not always be on your time or the way you want, but God will always answer.


Written by Molly Scott, currently on the ground in Guatemala.


Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.