Skip to main content

The Power of a Smile

     In Guatemala, it doesn’t really matter where you look; you will find a smile. Smiles are found on the Guatemalan people, the American people, or even in the mirror, and the smiles are truly infectious. If you are having a rough day, or are just exhausted, a smile could be just what you need. There is truly nothing as powerful as a smile. 

     I sponsor a young boy in Gerona, a suburb of Guatemala City, through Caroline’s Promise. I began sponsoring him last year, but never had the opportunity to meet my sponsor child. One of the Caroline’s Promise leaders gave me the sad news that I would have to find a child to sponsor because my child hadn’t been active in the ministry. I was crushed to say the least. Meeting my sponsor child was one of the driving forces behind returning to Guatemala, and it was something that was seeming like it wouldn’t happen, but then I got a tap on the shoulder and was told to come outside. There he was; The kid I had traveled over 2,000 miles to see and he had one thing on his face. A smile! 



     This smile was one of joy and excitement, and I know I had one on my face that could match it. From then on, everywhere I went I had a smile. 

     One thing I have learned in Guatemala is how much a smile can impact a life. They are something that is so contagious, so simple, and they have the power to change a moment, a day, and a life. 


     Written by Landon Clary, a member of the Sports Team this summer.

Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now? Cesy Samayoa

  Cesy, translating for Kaitlyn Our friend Cesy was too old to be in our child sponsorship program when we met her, but she definitely benefited from the program because two of her siblings were sponsored consistently.  And we benefited from knowing Cesy!  For years she would translate for our special programs.  I remember speaking to a group of moms years ago and Cesy translated for me.  She stayed for hours after the talk to help me minister to women.  One of those women had concerns about her son who clearly showed signs of ADHD.  Cesy helped me find natural ways to address his inattention and lack of focus and a year later that same Mom shared how Cesy's suggestions had helped! Cesy, we know how hard you have worked and we are incredibly proud of you!  Thank you for being a beautiful example to young women everywhere!

Leaving for Guatemala in less than 8 hours!

Everyone is in a mad dash to get their carryons packed and catch some sleep before we depart at 3am! You read that right, 3 am! It's going to be a long travel day. We'll depart Colfax at 3am, drive to Raleigh, fly to Miami at 6:50am and arrive in Guatemala at 1 in the afternoon. After we collect ALL of our luggage (because you guys have prayed that it all arrives:) we'll load a bus and drive 3-4 hours to Eagle's Nest Children's Home. We appreciate your prayers as the first of 50 people go to Guatemala. Our second week begins July 5th. Specific requests for this first BIG team are unity, good health, safety, and that God blesses our time with kids in churches, schools, the community and at Eagle's Nest. Check out their blog at http://www.boggsministry.com/ We hope to update you daily but we're not quite sure how the internet access will be. Thanks for your prayers:)

$40 can send a teen to camp

  Words can't express how proud we are of the youth from Adonai Church in Guatemala City.  They have worked hard to develop a discipleship and outreach program that is amazing!  In addition, they have been raising funds to attend their high school aged camp November 25-27.  They began months ago by creating banks and teaching on the importance of saving.  From there they hosted a ton of fundraisers and have been able to raise the funds for their youth group to attend camp. Now they need our help!  They would love for 25 of the older teens from their Gerona church plant to attend camp as well.  The cost is $40 per teen and we're looking for a total of $1000. If you would like to partner with the Adonai Youth and support a teen from Gerona, please follow this link.  Thank you for helping us celebrate the Adonai Youth and their hard work, while making a way for the teens in Gerona to attend camp.